Saturday, January 14, 2012

Science Fair Proposal (Revision)

01. Hypothesis
 - There may be a relationship between the way hands are washed and the amount of bacteria that survives the washing process

02. Identify:
      - Dependent Variable: Amount of bacteria 
      - Independent Variable: Temperature of water and amount of time hands are washed      - Control Variable: Soap used

03. What is the connection between your science fair project and your senior project EQ?
- The connection between my science fair project and my senior project is that as an anesthesiologist the cleanliness of your hands is very important to the safety of the patient to make sure bacteria does not enter any kind of wound during a procedure.

04. How will you perform the experiment?  Include the equipment you plan on using.
- I plan on performing an experiment by scrubbing/washing my hands 4 different times using
1. First as I normally would not altering anything.
2. Second for a time of exactly 5 min. with the same temperature water as the first.
3. Thirdly for a time of 5 minutes as well this time although increasing the temperature of the water to something that is bearable but still hot. (Measuring the temp of the water)
4. Lastly I will use the same temperature of water as the third trial only this time increasing the amount of time I spend washing my hands to 20 minutes.
After each individual trial I will dip my hand in a petri dish with nutrient agar in it and incubate each dish. After the incubation process is done I will swab and use an enterotube acts as an insert you run the swab through the tube, the enterotube is a tube containing twelve compartments and fifteen tests, each containing the appropriate media for each test.  (Three compartments run two tests each section having a different test for different bacteria’s and as you read of the results you find the bacteria that is most prominent.

Materials:
-       Petri Dishes (4)
-       Nutrient agar
-       Thermometer
-       Brushes (4) [Used for scrubbing]
-       Stop Watch
-   Enterotube (4) [One time use only]

05. Which category will your project be listed under?
- My experiment falls under the category of microbiology; it is an experiment studying the study of bacterial transmission.

No comments:

Post a Comment